Sloppy joes are one of those quick, go-to meals that are cheap and so easy. Well this recipe takes that sloppy joe flavor that everyone loves and combines it into a tasty casserole! Check it out!
This recipe is courtesy of Food Network.
- 3 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80-to-85-percent lean)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup beef broth
- 12 ounces elbow macaroni with ridges
- 2 cups shredded yellow Cheddar
- 1/2 cup chopped crisp deli-style dill pickles
Heat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Combine the brown sugar, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce in a small bowl. Heat the EVOO in a large skillet or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook until well browned. Season with salt and lots of pepper. Add the garlic, bell peppers and onions and cook, stirring, for 5 minutes. Pour the tomato mixture over the beef, add the beef broth and stir until well combined. Simmer until thickened, 5 to 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the macaroni in a large pot of salted boiling water until not quite tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and add to the sauce. Pour the mixture into a casserole dish and top with the cheese.
Bake until the casserole is bubbling and the top is browned. Top with the pickles and serve from the dish.
Cook’s Note: The unbaked casserole can be covered and refrigerated for a make-ahead meal. Bring to room temperature and bake as directed before serving.
It looks like you enjoyed this post! Want more positive local news?