Are you an Herb Nerd?
Hmmm…let’s find out!
- When you visit a restaurant, do your olfactory senses detect the individual fragrances of thyme, basil, garlic, onion, and parsley as separate entities rather than the Ratatouille special?
- Do you dream about owning a Penzey’s one day?
- Do you dress up your dog on Halloween as a gourmet chef and sprinkle him with rosemary?
- Is not only your kitchen decorated with herb themed wall paper and borders, but your bedroom and bathroom as well?
- Is no less than 50% of your cupboard space devoted to herb storage?
- Can you taste the difference between sweet basil, purple basil, Greek basil, Thai basil, and boxwood basil while blindfolded?
- Do you start planning your herb garden for next year while you are in the midst of planting it for this year?
- Do you have 23 or more books on herbal remedies?
- Does your kitchen resemble that of the Medieval herbalist with 132 bunches of dried herbs hanging from the six wagon wheels suspended from your ceiling?
- Are all your bathtubs converted into herb gardens from October to April?
How many of these questions did you answer yes to?
3 or less = absolutely not an herb nerd
4-5 = mildly nerdy brain activity, though restrainable
6-7 = moderately affected; midnight online spending sprees at Penzy’s, sleep walking into the herb garden common…
8 or above = Congratulations! You are a full fledged Herb Nerd. Use of Latin references only; frequent uncontrollable urges to sniff and roll in the verbenas, anise hyssop, lavender, and mints; herb garden – huh! You have an herb acre!
Whether you are a mild, moderate, or full fledged Herb Nerd – or even if you just have a slight fascination – welcome! This feature is for anyone who has any interest in herbs. It has no boundaries. It will encompass all things herb related and welcomes your submissions as well.
Today, I’ll share some photos of herbs I have started indoors and a few photos of what I plan on adding to my outdoor garden, too. How many can you identify?
Answers posted on our Facebook page!
In the meantime, all you Herb Nerds – go tell your fellow Herb Nerds to come on over for a fix! I’ll be sharing some weekly fun and fascinations, bits of history and helps, and some great pictures and pet costumes! (Well – only if my cat will allow it…)If you would like to contribute to this feature with your own nerdy thoughts, please write me at [email protected] with herb nerd as the subject