Fall is the time for all things apple. The sweet and tart fruit is at its best this time of year. The abundance of apples at this time of year lends itself to lots of apple cider. Although apple cider on its own is a tasty treat on a cool autumn day, anyone who limits themselves to only drinking apple cider is missing out on a multitude of other things to do with the perennial fall drink. Apple cider is great to use as an ingredient in cooking as well.
- Use apple cider as a glaze. It is commonly known that pork and apples go well together, so it’s natural to use apple cider as a glaze for pork dishes. An apple cider glaze is also a great way to liven up a chicken or fish dish as well. Combine the cider with garlic, ginger, sage and thyme for a wonderful fall-flavored glaze.
- Apple cider is also a good base for homemade moonshine. The result will be similar to the hard apple cider libations that are currently flooding the market. If you are going to try your hand at homemade apple cider moonshine, before you begin, check with your local municipality to make sure you are operating lawfully.
- The flavor of apple cider can amp up your fall root vegetables. One of the best parts of autumn is the root vegetables that are in season. Roasting some root vegetables such as turnips and winter squash with some brown sugar, cinnamon, and apple cider make a nice side dish for Thanksgiving or just an ordinary Monday night dinner.
- If you are looking to satisfy a sweet tooth, try to make an apple cider cream pie. This unique treat combines elements of a traditional apple pie and a cream pie. The result is a sweet taste sensation that explodes with the flavor of apple cider.
- Another tasty sweet treat is apple cider caramels. These soft and chewy treats are a great combination of tangy and sweet cider and buttery caramel. They taste just like small bites of caramel apples. Hard-core apple lovers can melt them down and wrap them around an apple for a super-apply treat.
- A tasty main dish using apple cider is hard cider macaroni and cheese. This hearty and scrumptious dish combines the cheddar cheese that Vermont is known for and hard apple cider. The result is the most to-die-for mac and cheese you’ll ever try.
- A fabulous treat to satisfy your thirst is an apple cider smoothie. It may sound a little weird but once you try it, you’ll never know how you lived without it. There are a variety of different recipes on the Internet, take a look at a few and try the one that sounds best to you!