“The Middlefield Banking Company is a community bank. Our employees are trained to be helpful, caring, compassionate, and understanding.”
~ Kathy Vanek, Branch Manager, Mantua
Some things don’t change. For 112 years, The Middlefield Banking Company has been serving local customers with the same care and offering the same personal attention as it did over a century ago. What other reason would explain such a long standing existence! People are important. And the folks at MB remain steadfastly committed to providing their customers with services to back that statement. “Middlefield Bank provides many quality products such as online banking, banking through the phone line, services for businesses, remote capture, and financial consulting services. We strive for excellence in customer service. My own personal motto, that was passed on to me by my parents, is to treat everyone like you would want to be treated,” shares Kathy Vanek, Branch Manager in Mantua. “It’s a community bank and we are still able to establish relationships and make decisions to help our customers. Customers become your family.” That’s why they participate in and support local events including the Portage County Relay, Garrettsville Summerfest , and the Mantua Potato Festival; they believe in the truth that strong relationships build strong communities.
The core values listed below further explain the foundation upon which the company was built and why it has been in existence now since 1901:
- Customer Service: we will treat all customers in a manner that is both personal and caring. We will show genuine concern and respect for them as individuals.
- Honesty and Integrity: it is imperative that our customers trust us to do business in an ethical manner. We will always honor our commitments, keep our promises, and do the right thing.
- Efficiency: in order to be successful and to remain competitive, we must keep our costs at a reasonable level, strive to improve productivity and continue to become more efficient in the way we conduct our business.
- Team Focus: believing that our people are key to our success, we are dedicated to a well-educated and highly skilled work-force. We are one team sharing one focus.
- Community Commitment: actively participating and investing in our communities is at the foundation of our organization. It is important to provide leadership within our communities and to offer our time, talent, and dollars.
- Proactive Approach: In order to be responsive to our customers’ needs, we approach banking in a proactive, flexible, and positive manner. We strive to be creative in solutions to problems, recognizing them as improvement opportunities.
- Shareholder Commitment: our shareholders have expressed their belief in us and it is our duty to be responsible stewards of their investments. Prudent and fiscally responsible management will provide both short term and long term value to our shareholders.
The mission of The Middlefield Banking Company is three-fold. They aim to:
1. profitably serve our communities by being dedicated to quality, safety and soundness, and maximizing shareholder value.
2. provide superior financial products and responsive personalized service, while promoting economic growth.
3. remain an independent and community-oriented financial services provider, while taking advantage of available options to expand the trade area as opportunities develop.
Though the main office is located in Middlefield, opportunities arose that allowed for expansion into Portage County. Due to an increase in customers in Garrettsville, a branch was opened in November of 1986. Then in January of 1999, a new building was constructed to accommodate the growth of Garrettsville and the surrounding area and to provide maximum customer service and satisfaction. The Garrettsville branch is located at Routes 82 and 88; a smart location for quick, convenient banking.
In November of 1998, the Mantua branch was opened. This allowed customers who live in Mantua and surrounding areas to have quick access to their banking. The small, close-knit community permitted the Mantua branch to grow, which has since become a convenient location just north of the Ohio Turnpike.
“The same products and services are offered at all branch locations,” shares Kathy, “however, for some services that require a specialist, customers may need an appointment.” An additional perk for those who choose MB is the opportunity to have their financial consultant specialist travel to both Portage locations to meet with clients rather than make them travel all the way to the main branch. It’s just one more way of showing their commitment to personal customer service.
Did I say specialist? Yes!
“Our highly qualified financial specialist offers a wide variety of products that can help our customers increase their earnings on their savings depending on the client’s needs and risk tolerance. Middlefield Bank also has four licensed bank employees who can offer fixed or indexed annuities to our clients.”
With recent bank failures, home foreclosures still very high, and a government deeply in debt, people in general are nervous about the economy today and worry about the safety of their investments and their retirement funds. I asked Kathy how MB brings peace of mind to their customers. “We provide safety and stability for our customers along with FDIC Insurance. The Middlefield Banking Company has been around since 1901, and within those 112 years, we have always practiced stability for our customers.” Read those core values again!
Middlefield Bank is always upgrading to ensure the most efficient online processing services. Customers have the ability to use online banking to access their accounts, do transfers, stop pays, and view checks and statements. Easy Line gives you the ability to access your accounts and do transfers over the phone. They offer debit cards for convenience when the branches aren’t open. “But for some customers, our personalized banking is just what they need,” says Kathy. “When customers come into the branches, they are able to talk to actual people. This allows them to have individualized help. Our employees strive to answer any questions and help people understand their banking. We make it a value among our employees to provide excellent customer service.”
So that’s the secret! Real people – people who have been trained to be caring, compassionate, understanding, and highly qualified – who combine excellent customer service, expert advice, and top notch technology to ensure personal security, superior products and services, and a neighborly banking experience. What more could you ask for from a bank? Oh! – and I don’t think you have to worry about them going away any time soon! Call or visit them today!
This story is brought to you by The Middlefield Banking Company
Toll Free phone number: 888-801-1666
Easy Line phone number: 877-MBC-2794 (877-622-2794)
Easy Link Website: www.middlefieldbank.com
Youth website with useful financial tools, games and calculators: www.mb-easy.com
Garrettsville Branch: 8058 State St. Garrettsville, OH 44231
Mantua Branch:10519 South Main St. P.O Box 648 Mantua, OH 44255
Equal Housing Lender